As promised, below is the recipe for my hubby’s Blueberry Pie.
I want to tell you it is delicious!
I have made a commitment to climb back on to the wagon and cut out the sugars, sodas, fried foods and leavening’s. I made my start date today, so that I could have some of David’s pie. Yes… I did enjoy two slices of it… last night. 🙂
The first couple of days are usually the roughest, when I start behaving myself again and cut out all the stuff that taste so good, but is not good for me. After a few days though, I’ll start feeling more like myself and feeling better. Though it may take a little longer this time, since I’ve been off the wagon so long. lol
My daughter, told me “Mom, you talk like you’re a drunk”. Well, the way I look at it, an addiction is an addiction.
Okay… enough about that…
4 cups fresh blueberries, cleaned and de-stemmed
Juice 1/2 lemon
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 unbaked 9″ pie shells
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a saucepan, boil 1 cup of blueberries with water and sugar, the liquid will turn blue/purple. Strain. Add the cornstarch to the liquid and boil until it thickens.
- Pour the rest of the blueberries in a large boil. Add the lemon juice to the thickened liquid and pour over the berries and mix.
- Pour blueberry mixture into the unbaked pie shell. Prepare the other pie shell to be the top crust. Make four slits to vent the pie as it cooks. Crimp the crust edges to seal the pie.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes. All ovens differ, so keep a watch on the pie to get a golden color.
- Serve with homemade whipped topping
Whipped Cream Topping
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Chill a metal bowl and add cold heavy cream
- Whip until it has soft peaks
- Add the sugar and vanilla while continuing to whip.
- Whip until it has firm peaks.